Friday, May 25, 2012

I Don't Want to be a Book Whore!

ONLY 99 CENTS TODAY ONLY!!!

A few years ago, when I had my first self-published book out, I met a self-published author, an older gentleman, who had gotten his book of short stories printed up and was one of the authors I met at a book signing. We got to jawing and I learned he was able to sell his book out of hand to people he just met. I'm not sure if it was as great as all it sounds, but he probably did alright. He called himself a "Book Whore". I thought it was a funny term and in a way sort of appropriate.

The thing is we do need to work hard to sell our books, get it to the right audience. I'm sure everyone can agree with that. But when I see people plopping their books on the Facebook groups I belong to every few hours (the same people/books), it sort of makes me want to un-join. At first I put my book out there, but I've quit doing things that way. First of all I don't want to be a pest, I know how it makes me feel -- hey! Freebies! Hey! only 25 more people join/like/etc. and some lucky person wins... come and "like" my book on Amazon...only .99 today!!!
And seconly, after those same people have seen your book once, or a couple dozen times, if they didn't buy it the first time, they may be unlikely to buy it after the hard sell again and again. In fact it may have turned them off--I don't care if it is award winning.

There are other things that I question too. I don't really know how it counts to have all your friends on facebook/groups to go and "like" a book they've never read before. I don't do this, and I won't ask anyone to "like" my book over on Amazon, unless they've read it and want to go to the trouble of doing this. I won't ask anyone to make a review there either. Usually people WANT to do this, not because I've asked them. I don't want to hold a cattle prod and make people do something that they didn't feel like doing in the first place. I don't even think anyone (readers) care if you have 3 likes or 300 likes. Or that it even matters, or that they see it. I've never noticed it before, until someone was talking about it. (Oh... there that little bugger is, never noticed it before.)

So, I've let my little rant out. I might be a little bit of a book whore, but not big-time selling on the street corner, sort of thing.

It all boils down to this, the hard sell can get a bit too much. And really it is like whoring, if you become a little too agressive about it.

The best way to get your book to audiences is by going on book tours, at blogs, or however you may have available to you. And really, if I had a wad of money, I'd be advertizing my own, but I don't have that sort of cash flow. Not yet, anyway.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Lorelei. I know what you mean, and I know who... Don't you just want to tell [that person], I love you, dear, but enough already? I simply try to ignore [that person] and others just like [that person].
    Have a great weekend. I hope to see you once or twice along the way.

    -Jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I'm all about announcing a new release or offering a promotion on my blog, but there comes a point when selling becomes 'pushy' and I'm not comfortable with that! I've struggled to find the balance in self-promotion (I am an Indie Author after all!) and respect for others. I've enjoyed some posts at Self-Published-Author's-Lounge on the subject.

    I do, however, like to feature fellow Indie Authors at my blog. If you're ever of a mind to write a guest post, email me and we'll put our heads together. Have a great week. Do you write paranormal? I saw in your comment you've written a steampunk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Nadja! Yes I sure do write paranormal/urban fant. And have my steampunk with my publisher.

    I will take you up on the putting heads together thing. Thanks for stopping by!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, did I get you thinking? Want to add a comment? Be my guest and be nice about it. Since I've seen too many "anonymous" users I've taken this option off. Sorry, but you are only interested in selling me something. But my regulars are always welcome!