Saturday, January 2, 2016

The New Year Begins...

Last year was a year of working out the kinks. In my back, in my thoughts, in everything, really.

I took the year off from writing. Well, a portion of the year, since I felt I needed it. Some writers have referred to it as writer's block--any time you can't write. I tend to think of writer's block when you can't continue writing, or even start. And this shouldn't last very long, if you know how to stimulate the writing muscle.

No. Having been writing for four decades, I know that I've gone long periods where I simply needed time away from writing. A break from it. This is what it is. I've no idea if I can get back to it this year. I may not. Not that I don't have ideas. I do. I would like to, but there may be a number of reasons why I won't.

For one thing, during those decades of writing, I did a lot of it. And, for those who have only just begun writing, you've always had it easy. A computer, instead of pen/pencil & paper, or typewriter. I wrote every day, even when I was in school. In fact I probably wrote my stories instead of studied. (I hated school, including college--until I got to take writing courses, of course.) It was all practice. I didn't see much published before the age of 40, and after that, it looked like none of my books would be published, until I self-published "Spell of the Black Unicorn". And had a great book signing in a local Borders.

Anyway, the point is I never gave up. I didn't stop writing like a possessed woman. I worked at a job and wrote when I was home, whenever I could. I didn't stop to watch too much TV, I feel like I missed out on a lot. I quit writing a few times, as I've mentioned. Once, when I worked in a craft store, I concentrated on crafting for 3 or 4 years. I made money at it, but not enough to live on. But it was nice to make money at something I liked doing. Then, I went back to writing and didn't stop writing, until now.

This isn't to say that I'm not doing anything writing-wise. I've finished edits (to the best of my ability) on the fifth book in the Sabrina Strong series. I have three more written (the 8th one still needs some work), and all I plan on doing is the last go-through on #6 & #7.

In the meantime, I've gone back to crafts and crocheting. I've made a number of afghans over the last 3 years. One I gave away to a friend, and one as a baby shower gift, and I may make one for a friend who is getting married. I've returned to crafting, merely because I think there's a market for it, but need to find somewhere to sell them. I was known as the "Coke Bottle Lady". I usually painted Christmas scenes, Santa's, snowmen, and other things on them. I took orders all the time. I charged $6 for the small bottles, and $12 for the large, antique ones I painted, and they flew off the shelves.

Also, last year I re-discovered yoga, and I'm keeping up with it, although, I got lazy and have been doing it sporadically, but I'm going to step it up again. Walking in the winter is not my cup of tea. I used to go cross-country skiing, but I don't have a pair of boots any more. And I'm afraid of falling or twisting an ankle. I still have to work for a living.

Speaking of which I dream of the day I can quit the bus company I work for. I won't go into why, but any job has its annoying qualities, including bosses and supervisors, and people you simply can't stand to be around. Oh. And the job itself.

And in August--a long way off, but the way the calendar seems to turn pages at the speed of sound (yes, time seems to fly, but it really isn't going any faster or slower than it should--it just seems like it), I turn 62 and I will be taking social security. My husband is 4 years younger, but he has to wait until 65 to take his. We are looking into our later years hoping we can hold on and be able to buy the trailer and eventually live in it. Where? Wherever the hell we want. His parents lived and worked in RV parks, so we know the in's and out's of it.

At any rate, the new year has begun, and I'm just going to go day-by-day, and see what tomorrow brings. If I write a little here or there, then so be it. If I don't, no big deal. It's there when I feel like going back to it. I only know that I'll feel refreshed when I do.

Thanks for joining me today. Hope your year brings the things you want, but, if not, maybe there's something else there waiting for you to discover.

4 comments:

  1. I've had problems keeping up with writing and just about everything else due to health issues (blogging, social networking, etc.), but things are looking up for 2016. Here's hoping it's a good year for all of us!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, did I get you thinking? Want to add a comment? Be my guest and be nice about it. Since I've seen too many "anonymous" users I've taken this option off. Sorry, but you are only interested in selling me something. But my regulars are always welcome!